STUDENT RIGHTS - Students with documented disabilities have the right to:
- Equal opportunities to participate, work and learn
- Reasonable accommodations
- Appropriate confidentiality
- Information about available services and accomodations
- Information about decisions made by NIPSTA regarding appropriate accommodations
- Advocacy within the NIPSTA community of learning
STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES - Students with disabilities have the responsibility to:
- Identify themselves in order to receive accommodations
- Provide current and valid supporting documentation
- Request appropriate accommodations with ample notice
- Follow published procedures for obtaining accommodations and services
- Meet qualifications and standards set for NIPSTA programs
- Advocate for their individual needs
Find the NIPSTA Reasonable Accommodation Request Form HERE.
Find the NIPSTA Authorization for Release of Information Form HERE.
HOW DOES A STUDENT REQUEST AN ACCOMMODATION?
It is the policy of the Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy ("NIPSTA") to comply with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA"). Any student wishing to request a reasonable accommodation must submit their request in writing along with supporting documentation to the NIPSTA Executive Director. Requests must be received at least two (2) weeks before the beginning of a program. Students will be notified in writing of the final determinations regarding requested accommodations. Arrangements may be available for students who submit their request after the two (2) week deadline.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR ACCOMMODATIONS?
In order to receive an accommodation, a student must have a documented disability that substantially limits one or more of their life activities. A reasonable accommodation is one that removes barriers to their access to examinations.
WHAT TYPES OF ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE AVAILABLE?
An accommodation is a modification, adjustment or elimination of a barrier that enables an individual with a disability to academically participate on an equal basis. Examples include, but are not limited to; extended time for test taking, verbal test questions, distraction reduced testing environment, large print exams, and assistance with Scantron sheets.
For additional information, please contact the NIPSTA Executive Director at 847-998-8090.